Sunday, March 5, 2017

The Stranger: An Errand Encounter

It was a summer night when we heard the foot steps of the stranger. Most people avoided the stranger and would walk on the opposite side of the side walk or walk as far away as they can in the other direction. It was late at night and most people are at home watching television or returning home from work. I however, was out on an errand to deliver some oranges to an elder couple 2 blocks from my house. Dropping off the oranges was simple, it was going home in the dark that was the problem. I always stick close to the street lamps while I walk out in the night and the news of the stranger walking around at night is no help.

But I have to be brave. I might be 10 years old but I will be the man of the house sooner or later so I must do what every boy does to prove he is man enough, I faced my fear. As in walking farther away from the street lamps. I didn't even walk 10 yards when I heard the foot steps. It made me freeze in place but I slowly started walking again in a faster pace. I thought about turning around and going back to the elderly couples place but the foot steps are right behind me. It is getting closer and closer as I sped up my pace. Fear started to take over and I ran for it. It would have worked if I wasn't so scared and tripped on my own feet and landed face first on the ground. I had scrapped my knee and my elbow and tear started to well up in my eyes.

I rolled over on my side and into the brightness of a nearby street lamp. I was still on my back, squinting as I started at the bright light of the street lamp. Then I remembered the foot steps and it had stopped. I slowly lifted my head up to see the Stranger standing there in the dark, just a few inches away from the street lamp's lights. I can see the dark silhouette standing there and the head slowly turning. My eyes grew wide as the silhouette started to move closer towards me, stepping into the light but just enough that the light does not illuminate the head and shoulders. He stood there again, and then took what sounded like a sigh, although it was muffled like something was placed over the mouth. Then the stranger walked towards me again until he is directly in front of me, their face shielded by darkness as their head covered the street light. I can feel my arms and legs shake as the stranger stared at me and slowly he reached out his arms towards me.

No comments:

Post a Comment